Why should you update your Magento version? Is it really that important? Or spending that much time and energy does not justify the update?
Since the release of Magento 2 in November 2015, the Magento team has released around 30 updates and upgrades. It looks like a lot, right?
So, the question arises that whether or not, these updates bring any value or not?
No matter what your opinion is for now, after reading this article, it will change for good. Keep reading and let me show you why you should update your old, outdated, and slow Magento version to the latest one.
Updating your old Magento versions and extensions will give you access to the latest and exciting features. Not only it will benefit you and your business, but it will also give you much-needed peace of mind.
Running old versions of Magento, or perhaps, any software can lead to some serious troubles.
As time passes, security vulnerabilities increase. Extensions and plugins become outdated. Integrations become difficult. Security patches obsolete. Optimization becomes a head-scratcher. Performance suffers.
Want more? Your asset becomes your liability.
Do you need any more reason to update your old Magento version?
Therefore, we strongly recommend keeping your installed Magento version and all other third-party extensions, up to date.
Upgrading the versions become a necessity after a certain time. Hackers can easily breach your security measures by using SQL injections and other security loopholes. It becomes even more serious on open-source code.
Critical security patches are rolled out very frequently and there is a good reason for it.
Magento is a prime target for hackers and exploiters group. They keep on looking for any loophole and vulnerability in the code. As soon as a vulnerability in code is found, Magento pushes a fix for it in the form of security patches and the latest releases.
Ignoring these releases makes your store prone to threats.
Third-party groups can reverse engineer the fix and find the actual issue in the code and exploit that against the non-updated stores. Hence, regular updating can eliminate the risk of security risks.
New features and regular optimization will increase your site’s impact in the online world.
- Make the necessary backup of your data. A clean and recent backup doesn’t hurt anyone. If anything goes sideways, it can save you from getting humiliated. However, you can always restore the data afterwards.
- Always see the version release descriptions to get a hold of what exact changes are made in the version.
- Make sure that the core files are not overwritten.
- Check whether the third-party extensions are compatible with the new version.
- Update your Magento in quiet or off-peak hours for your website.
- Before rolling out the final updated version to the public, always give it a test run to make sure everything is according to the plan.
- Recheck the result of the development environment.