Mothercare specializes in accessories for new born babies and maternity items and have gained reputation all over the world. Mothercare is number one choice for people all over the world who are about to become parents and need accessories for their new born. It is suggested by its name that it is not only a brand but a sense of passion, quality, innovation and safety for young children, babies and parents-to-be. Mothercare Pakistan is enjoying good reputation due to the quality of its products and affordable rates. RLTSquare has the privilege to migrate Mothercare online store from Magento 1 Enterprise Edition to Magento 2 Enterprise Edition.
Platform: Magento 2
Magento is ending support for Magento 1 Edition and Mothercare Pakistan had their store on Magento 1 which is why they wanted to work with an agency which will help them in migrating from Magento 1 Enterprise to Magento 2 Enterprise. Mothercare partnered with RLTSquare in order to redesign their digital presence, reimagine their value proposition and rethink their relation with customers. Mothercare wanted their online store to reflect their curated shop that would tell their story and enhance their relationship with their customers. A design to perfectly reflect their culture and make them stand out among competitors was the basic requirement of the brand.
- Migration from Magento 1 Enterprise to Magento 2 Enterprise
- Theme Customizations
- Magento cloud deployment
RLTSquare constructed a simple yet elegant website for Mothercare Pakistan. RLTSquare made sure that the website is kept responsive and enhances user experience with minimum effort. Mothercare Pakistan is one of the very few stores which are running on Magento 2 Enterprise which is why we had to be very careful in our execution. We made sure that we provide Mothercare with long term solutions for which we went through rigorous research and employed various techniques which better suited their requirements. We encountered difficulties after migration such as error on order placement and saving the customer address. In order to solve this issue we had to update the Database and make fixes to resolve the issue.